When taking care of dog clothes, you need to follow many of the same rules for laundry as you do with your clothes.
- Read the label. Most dog sweaters and clothes can be machine or hand-washed.
- Use a mesh bag. To wash small items, place in a mesh laundry bag before washing. This will prevent tangles and loss of small pieces.
- Pretreat stains. If the clothes have mud or food stains, pretreat with a stain remover for best results.
- Use a hypoallergenic detergent. Harsh detergents with perfumes and dyes can cause skin problems for animals.
- Be sure that clothing and collars are completely dry before allowing the dogs to wear them again to prevent skin irritation.