The Bottom Line
- Hypoallergenic, fragrance and dye-free
- Green detergent made from plant-derived cleaning agents.
- Performs well on normal laundry soil.
- Higher cost per load than other commercial detergents.
- Hypoallergenic, biodegradable laundry detergent.
- Contains plant-derived cleaning agents and discloses all ingredients on packaging.
- Performs well on normal soil and leaves laundry soft and smelling fresh.
Guide Review - Seventh Generation Laundry Detergent Free and Clear Powder - Product Review
Seventh Generation is a company based on providing environmentally-friendly household products. It's name comes from the Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy, "In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations." Their website offers multiple pages of information about their products, mission, coupons and even a Seventh Generation nation you can join to share your thoughts.
Seventh Generation Natural Detergent Free & Clear Powder is available in 48 oz./18 loads or 112 oz./42 loads. The detergent is formulated to work in regular or high-efficiency washers and is free and clear of dyes, fragrances and masking agents. All Seventh Generation products are non-toxic and biodegradable, free of phosphates & optical brighteners, safe for septic & greywater systems and Kosher-certified; not tested on animals nor contain animal ingredients. The box is made from 100 percent recycled paper (40 percent minimum post-consumer, 60 percent pre-consumer). The recyclable measuring scoop is made from 100 percent post-consumer recycled plastic.
Every product has a full listing of ingredients on the label as well as an explanation of what each ingredient does. You can also find the ingredients and Material Data Safety Sheets on their website. Free and Clear Powder contains:
- Sodium carbonate (water softener and alkalinity builder)
- Sodium chloride and sodium sulfate (processing and flow aids)
- Laureth-7 and lauryl polyglucose (plant-derived cleaning agents)
- Sodium aluminosilicate and sodium citrate (water softeners)
- Sodium silicate (alkalinity builder)
- Sodium percarbonate (active stain removal agent)
- Magnesium sulfate (cleaning enhancer)
- Sodium bicarbonate (adjusts pH)
- Cocos nucifera oil (coconut-derived anti-foaming agent)
- Sodium carboxymethyl inulin (water softener and soil dispersant)
- Sodium carboxymethylcellulose (soil dispersant)
According to the packaging, the detergent is formulated to work well in cold water. I used it for several loads of laundry and found the clothes to come out clean and smelling fresh. The laundry felt soft without the use of additional fabric softeners. While the cost per load is equivalent to Seventh Generation 2X Concentrated Natural Laundry Detergent Liquid Free and Clear, I found the powder to perform better on stain removal.
Seventh Generation products are widely available in grocery and mass merchandise stores. They can also be ordered online. Cost per use is higher than most commercially-produced detergents.
Specific questions? Just ask here.