Did you know that there is an organization devoted to Line Drying or Air Drying Laundry? Project Laundry List provides tips and a call to action to preserve the tradition of hanging laundry outside to line dry. Here are their Top 10 reasons to line dry laundry.
Specific questions? Just ask here.
Most households which abandon their clothes dryer
save more than $100 per year off electric or gas bills.
2. Energy Conservation
Line drying laundry conserves energy and helps to protect the environment by saving precious fossil fuels. It is the pinnacle of green laundry!
Clothes and sheets smell fresh without additional chemical laundry fresheners. This is particularly important for those sensitive to perfumes and dyes used in detergents and dryer products.
4. Gentle on ClothingTossing and tumbling in a dryer can cause wear and strain on clothing seams and buttons. Line drying is more gentle to fibers.
5. Physical ActivityHanging up laundry is a physical activity which you can do inside or outside.
6. Good RaysSunlight helps to bleach and disinfect laundry. This is particularly beneficial for sheets, towels and diapers. However, for dark clothes it can cause harm - keep them in the shade.
Indoor racks can humidify the air in dry winter weather
8. Prevent Fire RisksClothes dryer fires account for about 15,600 structure fires, 15 deaths and 400 injuries annually. The yearly costs in the United States for fire loss due to clothes dryer fires is estimated at $99 million.
9. PeacefulnessTaking time to enjoy the weather, the feel and smell of clean laundry can offer an outdoor experience that is meditative.
10. One Small StepLine drying laundry demonstrates that small steps can make a difference. You don't have to wait for the government to take action to protect the environment or reduce your monthly expenses.
Tell us what you love about line drying laundry and any green laundry tips you use.