Homemade fabric softener is easy to make, inexpensive and the perfect complement to homemade laundry detergent. It is also a perfect choice for those with chemical sensitivity to perfumes and is safe to use on all fabrics including children's sleepwear.
Time Required: 10 minutes
- Pour 1/2 cup baking soda into a one gallon or larger jug.
- Add 1 cup water to jug, stir or agitate to dissolve baking soda. Add remaining 3 cups of water.
- Slowly add the 3 cups of white distilled vinegar. Do not pour quickly or the baking soda and vinegar may react and fizz out of the bottle!
- If you would like, add favorite essential oil for fragrance. This is not a necessary ingrdient.
Specific questions? Just ask here.
- Safe for use in both standard and front load washers. Add the mixture directly to the washer's fabric softener dispenser. You can also add it manually to final rinse cycle - use about 1/2 cup per load.
- Adding essential oil for fragrance is optional. The baking soda and vinegar do the actual fabric softening by helping to remove any detergent residue. Even if you don't add the oil, you won't smell like a pickle!
- Mixture is especially good for those with sensitive skin and allergies.
What You Need
- Empty one gallon or larger jug
- 1/2 cup Baking Soda
- 3 cups White Vinegar
- 4 cups Water
- 5-10 drops Essential Oil